Albert Bartlett potatoes are a British favourite and at last you can grow your own! Whether you are an expert kitchen gardener or are new to ‘grow your own’ potatoes are a great way to start. Follow out step-by-step guide to growing potatoes in a container or bag:
- Fill a container with 4 inches (10cm) of growing compost.
- Lay out seed potatoes with shoot pointing up. A standard sized potato bag or container will take 4 seed potatoes.
- Cover seed potatoes with 4 to 6 inches (10-15cm) of compost and water well.
- As the shoots grow covering with more compost when they reach 4 inches (10cm) high. This process of layering compost is called ‘earthing up’ and should be continued until the shoots reach the top of the container.
- Keep the pots well watered and use a good quality fertiliser twice within the growing cycle.
- When the plants start to flower you can start to harvest your potatoes.
Serve up your freshly grown potatoes boiled with a curl of butter and garnished with herbs for a delicious dish!
For everything you need to grow your own potatoes visit our Outdoor Plant area or ask our friendly team at Burleydam Garden Centre for help.