Sweet Peas are enduringly popular cottage garden flowers and will reward you with gorgeous blooms and beautiful scent. These flowers are easy to grow and great as cut flowers – in fact the more you pick the more they grow!
Grow Your Own Sweet Peas – a Perfect Project for Young Gardeners!
- Fill the pot with seed compost almost to the top. Make a hole with your finger and place six seeds in each pot.
- Cover the seeds with 1cm of compost.
- Water the seeds in (give them a drink of water) and cover them with the polythene bag. After they have germinated, remove the covering.
- Plant the seedlings out in a sunny spot in the garden after the last spring frosts about 20-30 cm apart. Remember that slugs like to eat sweet peas!
- As they grow, support the plants using garden canes, a trellis or obelisk.
Don’t have time to grow your own? We have a fabulous range of Cottage Garden plants at Burleydam Garden Centre. Ask our Outdoor Plant team for help.